Finally, my children will eat Salmon. Salmon is always a bone of contention in my house, since they turned the age of one and went from baby mush to family dinners they just won’t touch the stuff. I have tried various incarnations and bribes but to no avail.
I finally came up with this easy recipe and they love it and actually get excited if i say its salmon burgers for dinner. I hope this works for you if you have salmon-phobic kids like mine.
Makes 8 -10 burgers and feeds 4 -6 children
1 large salmon darne
3 large potatoes
2 spring onions/scallions finely chopped
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mayo
3 oz mature white cheddar grated
juice of half a lemon
a knob butter
flour (or cornflour if you are gluten-free)
- Peel, boil and mash potatoes.
- Place the salmon in a microwave friendly dish, squeeze the lemon juice over the salmon and add the butter. Cook in the microwave for three minutes.
- Check that the salmon is cooked all the way through and if not pop it back in the microwave for a further minute.
- Flake the salmon and add to the mashed potato along with the spring onions/scallions, cheese, ketchup and mayo.
- Give everything a good stir until fully combined.
- Take a handful of the mixture and shape into burgers and toss in the flour.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and fry on both sides for about 2 minutes per side until nicely browned.
I usually serve 2 burgers to my bruisers (they have big appetites) with some peas or broccoli for a substantial and nutritionally dense dinner full of omega 3.
Hope your little ones enjoy these as much as mine do.
Dublin Mummy x
Pingback: Irish Parenting Bloggers | Kid friendly salmon burgers
Can these be frozen?
Hi Linda, yes they sure can. I tend to make a batch and once they are cooled, wrap each one separately in foil and freeze.
Pingback: 7 easy family dinners | Dublin Mummy