This is the king of my ‘one meal for one family’ movement. It is an absolute crowd-pleaser that everyone loves, young and old! There are so many versions out there and here is mine
Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 children
1 tbsp oil
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
500g minced beef
4 tbsp tomato puree
200ml beef stock
1tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 carrots, peeled and grated
150g frozen peas
5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
A knob of butter and a dash of milk
Some grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Boil your spuds in a pot of salted water until soft. Drain and Mash adding butter, milk and salt/pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large oven proof cast iron casserole dish (saves on washing up) or a large a frying pan and fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the spices and cook for one minute. Add the beef and fry until browned. Mix in the tomato purée and beef stock, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Next add the carrots, peas and worchestershire sauce and cook for a further 10 minutes stirring regularly so the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Spread the mash over the meat. Grate some cheese over the top if you wish. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
To up the comfort factor even more, i serve this with baked beans and HP on the sauce.
Dublin Mummy x