Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone. Thought it would be a good day to post a recipe for one of my favourite Irish foods of all time. Soda bread is quintessentially Irish, it’s simple, hearty and delicious. Best eaten on the day it’s baked.
Best ever brown soda bread
makes one loaf
225g plain flour
225g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin or better still pop a loaf tin liner into the tin (saves on the washing up).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and give everything a good stir with a wooden spoon until everything comes together.
- Bake for 45 mins until risen and nicely brown.
- Cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before removing the bread and placing on a wire tray.
Alternatives: Sometimes i add 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds into the mixture and sprinkle some on top for added nutrition.
Enjoy, Dublin Mummy x